No major changes to superannuation - proposal
On 31 July 2013, the Government issued a Press Release stating that no major changes would be made to superannuation tax policy for five years. This will be legislated if the Labor Government is re-elected.
It is clear that confidence in the superannuation system has been impacted by regular changes. This proposal is designed to encourage confidence in investment decisions knowing that the rules will not continually change.
The Government has also highlighted that certain measures will be retained, such as:
•gradual rise of the Superannuation Guarantee to 12% by 1 July 2019
•increase in concessional contribution caps for older Australians to $35,000, and
•low income superannuation contribution.
Legislation will be brought forward to establish a Super Council to ensure future changes are consistent with the agreed charter. This Council would also undertake a review of issues to be addressed which will include discussion and consultation papers.
- Young and Rich: BRW Young Rich List
- Photos taken using a smartphone, are they as good as taking a photo using an expensive SLR? You decide!
- The US president is not amused!
- Hawks Premiers in 2013
- Lowest home loan rates we've seen in a long time!
- Life and Income Protection Insurance for professionals.
- No real surprise here!
- No major changes to superannuation - proposal
- Proposed changes to FBT on cars